Reducing the disease burden of the rural households by achieving cleaner environment through safe disposal of human excreta, improved personal hygiene including proper water handling practices and appropriate management of solid and liquid waste.
Within the overall framework of the Nirmal (Swachh) Bharat Abhiyan, spearhead Mission Open Defecation Free (ODF) Rural Bengal by end of on or before 2nd October, 2019.
Achieve Open Defecation Free (Nirmal Gram) status for all the Gram Panchayats of the state on or before 2nd October, 2019.
- All households will have access to sanitary toilets, mostly within the premises and all members of the households will use toilets for defecation.
- All educational institutions (Primary/Junior/Secondary/Higher Secondary/Madrasahs/other educational institutions/Colleges) will have toilets commensurate with roll strength, separately for the boys and girls and all students and teachers will use those toilets while in the institutions.
- All Anganwadi Centres will have toilet facilities for use by the children, which will also contribute to development of appropriate toilet habist among the young ones.
- Community Sanity Complexes will cater to the need of the homeless and landless people, the commuters and the people spending time at the places of public congregation like markets/haats/bus stands etc.
- There would be appropriate arrangements for disposal of solid and liquid waste of the villages through household-based, cluster-based interventions.
- Everyone in the villages will have access to safe drinking water, which will be hygienically collected from the source, stored in clean containers, distributed hygienically.
- Everyone will wash hands with soap after defecation and handling child’s excreta, before preparing food, taking food and feeding children.
(However, since school and anganwadi sanitation have been transferred to respective mother Department, role of the Mission authority under the Panchayats & Rural Development Department will be restricted to awareness generation and monitoring.)